Sunday, September 25, 2016

Picking up Handphones

I was shopping for a secondhand, no-frills, no-camera handphone today to replace my brand new, blue and shiny one, because I wanted a handphone (1) with keys that did not give me a thumb spasm every time I typed a semi-long sms, (2) that did not consume so much energy that it needs charging every day, (3) had a nicer ring tone instead of the generic single beep.

As I was strolling around, carrying several bags of new year goodies for my mom, my handphone suddenly rang. After I fumbled for it in my bag for a few frantic moments, wondering if it would go out on me, I managed to extract it and it was my pastor. He wanted to ask if I was free this Sunday for dinner with the other members of my ministry. Nice. I thought it would be my mom with some instructions about something or other.

Anyway, after I hung up, I was pleased I had picked up the handphone, and I was musing about how some people do not like to pick up their handphones because (1) they think it is someone who has something unpleasant to say, (2) of the radiation that goes through the head every time the person talks on a handphone, (3) what can be so important to call rather than to sms (which is less radiation to read)? And yet, if a person is hard to get by handphone, he or she might miss out on all the pleasant surprises in life like this, or on some really, really important message.

So I thought perhaps a good story to write would be about a super team, or some team of people on a mission or task, and how one member in the team always picks up his/her handphone (probably the more reliable and organised one) and so is easily contactable, whereas the other person (usually the more quirky one, but more fun) does not like to pick up her handphone and hence is often lost in the action or doing her own thing. Which may not be a bad thing. I mean, hey, look at the hobbits in Lord of the Rings.

Ok, I got this idea down. Signing out.

No comments: