Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Haze!

Hello!

Sorry I've been missing in action for a while - blame it on the haze.  I was minding my own business at work, when I suddenly got called into a haze meeting and was suddenly involved in haze issues for a whirlwind one and a half weeks, where I attended three or four meetings a day, prepared slides or papers in between, skipped meals, ate at strange times, and otherwise just lived, breathed and ate haze-related information and updates.  That was when I realised that I am not a person really suited to wartimes.  Because I felt I was falling sick after about 4 or 5 days of not having regular, proper meals, working over a weekend flat out (we came back both days and had meetings almost all day!) and being slightly stressed out all the time. Perhaps it's because my blood group is A+ .  Apparently I am the blood type that does not take stress well.  On the contrary, this other girl who is my counterpart from another department, who was roped in one day earlier, worked longer hours and is even busier than me with haze issues, was perfectly fine, health-wise.

I must say when the 3-hour PSI (Pollutant Standard Index) hit a high of 400, I got really worried about Singapore, in particular, Singaporeans.  And I despaired of ever seeing clear skies again for months, as information from the authorities on how long the haze was going to last was not forthcoming (I believe they can only project one day in advance, and the dry season is supposed to last until the monsoon rains come in Nov-Dec!).  Thankfully, the rains came, the wind blew (in our favour), and the haze lifted, after a horrible, choking few days.  And I realised how much worse haze is than the SARS outbreak in Singapore years ago.  For SARS, it affects some people, and you feel like you can take precautions against catching it (practice good personal hygiene, avoid people with coughs or colds), but haze - it affects everyone, and you can't really get away from it when you're at home, unless you are fully air-conditioned.  Even then, some air seeps in.  My office floor had a slightly hazy look on the week when the haze was particularly bad.  And the complete lack of air purifiers in the market just added to everyone's (and in particular my) sense of despair.  I just hope someone comes up with a cheap and good technological solution that can help us clean up our indoor air during haze periods (and perhaps even during non-haze periods) sometime in the near future!

No comments: