Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The Value of Rest

Ahh... I am amazed at what half a day off from work can do for me. Yesterday morning I woke up with a mysterious large lump of phlegm in my throat that I managed to get out with a loud hack. It really surprised me, as I had been feeling perfectly fine until then. Then as the rest of the day progressed, and as the pace of work picked up, I started blowing my nose more and more, and sniffling miserably as I worked.

Today I seriously contemplated taking a day off from work, but there was too much to be done, so I went to office anyway. Miraculously, I managed to finish most of the urgent things on my to-do list, and left at about 1pm to go to see a clinic near my house. But the strange thing was, the further and further I got away from office, I found myself calming down and looking forward to half a day off from work! Then i decided to pop into Tampines Library to look for a book... which resulted in my trotting around Tampines 1 bookstore and buying that Sophie Kinsella book that has been eluding me for so long :) Then I settled with a happy sigh into a restaurant called "Say Cheeze" and started reading the book, and before long, I was chuckling aloud to myself as I flipped the pages. She manages to be so funny :) If I were to ever write any fiction, I want to write funny fiction!

Anyway, as I finished with the minestrone soup and baked rice and moved on to the nice cup of coffee, I felt myself feeling better and better, and I noticed I had not blown my nose nor felt groggy and stuffy in my head in a long time. I feel perfectly fine! In fact, I feel so well, I think I'm not going to see a doctor.

And on my way home, I popped into that posh-looking Urban Write stationary store I have been so curious about and never had the time to get there before closing time, and buy a blue scrungee to replace the one I lost... And as I let myself into my home at 4 plus, I still had time to pack up the mess of clothes on the sofa, and send off a few quick emails to cell that have been outstanding (never managed to find the strength to log on after work)... Ahh.... The luxury of some time off from work :) It's magical.

No comments: